Thursday, January 19, 2012

Eat your greens!


Who'da thunk 20 years ago that one day I'd become a gal that loves eating her greens!  I remember putting off eating my veggies until the end of dinner in the hopes that the excuse of, "I'm really full!" would get me out of finishing my greens. 
Thankfully I don't have to worry about that excuse anymore since now I love eating my greens!   Veggies are always in plentiful in my fridge and on the table with every dinner.  For tonight's dinner I wanted to have a tasty veggie that would go good with the pulled-pork sandwiches and stuffed potatoes I made for our company, so I whipped up the oh so yummy broccoli salad.  I've made this once before, but I was reminded again how very tasty the sweetness of the honey and raisins are with the crunchiness of the broccoli, celery and almonds.
I made a few variations to cut out a few calories without losing any taste.  I cut the amount of bacon in half because really there is plenty of bacon for that great flavor with just a few slices!  I also used regular sliced almonds instead of honey roasted almonds since I didn't want the sweetness of the salad to be overwheleming.
Even with my little variations, the salad turned out to be a hit with our company going back for multiple servings of the salad!  Yeah for eating greens...yummy greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment