Sunday, April 15, 2012

Quiche me please!

Mmmm...I'm still dreaming of the delightful breakfast we had today.  I was inspired to make quiche for breakfast after getting my Food Network Magazine this week and looking the the mix & match quiche article.  As I looked over the article I found myself reminiscing over the many Christmas mornings growing up where we got the homemade breakfast treat of my dad's quiche.  So, I decided I needed to give this classic breakfast dish a try.   I have to admit Clint and I plowed off a bit of it since it was scrumptious, but we saved just enough to have my dad try out, and I'm happy to say he approved!  
Here's my mix and match quiche that you may just want to try yourself! 
QUICHE-
Flaky Butter Crust:
  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
  • 2 tablespoons ice water  
    To make the dough by hand, combine the flour, salt, and butter in a medium bowl, and mix with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix until the dough comes together and is no longer dry, being careful not to overmix. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface according to the recipe, fit it into the pan, and allow to rest
again in the refrigerator before baking. 
Yield: one 9-inch tart or pie crust
Quiche filling: 
  • 8 pieces of bacon
  • 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
  • 1/3 yellow onion diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 cup shredded Colby & Monterrey jack cheese
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 ¼ cup milk
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
Cook bacon and set aside, when cooled, crumble to small pieces
Sauté spinach, onion and garlic in a medium pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray
Take uncooked pie crust and fill with bacon and sautéed spinach, onion and garlic.
In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, egg yolks, milk, salt, pepper, and oregano.  Then mix in cheese
Poor egg/cheese mixture into the pie dish over the bacon and veggie mixture
Bake in the oven at 375° for 40 to 50 minutes, until the filling is set


No comments:

Post a Comment