Saturday, October 20, 2012

Apple harvest

A couple of weeks ago we got a surprise delivery when a neighbor from church stopped by to give us two BIG boxes of apples. 

Getting all of this delicious apples on our doorstep reminded me that it's officially fall even though it's still been hot as summer around here!
With this abundance of apples hanging around I decided I needed to try some apple goodies that I've never tried before.  
First up, apple strudel

Not only was this my first time making apple strudel, but it was my first time using phyllo dough.  I love how the thin flakey layers of the phyllo stacked around the yummy apple, pecan, brown sugar filling making the pastry a fall fiesta in my mouth!  I will definitely be making this again!

Next up, apple pie


I used this simple crust recipe and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make this scrumptious pie.   The glaze over the pie made the crust take on some extra sweetness without being too sugary.
While the outer crust wasn't picture perfect, I'll be making this pie many more times and will hopefully get it just right soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment