Saturday, May 12, 2012

Eyes on avocados


Yummy.  Fresh.  California grown.  Avocados!   In the last week or so I think I have bought more avocados and made more meals with them than ever before.  It comes with good reason of course, since we just had Cinco de Mayo and grilling season is here, avocados seem like the perfect fruit (yes fruit!) to add to any meal.  It certainly doesn't hurt that I have a husband who is hooked on them!  Here are some of my favorite ways (old and new) to incorporate avocados into a meal. 

I found the recipe to this fresh new salad in last month's issue of Cooking Light.  The creaminess of the avocado is a great pairing with the bite that the lime juice and onions provide. 
Homemade guacamole with chips makes a great no-cook appetizer or even side dish that is not just for Cinco de Mayo fiestas.  Mix together any combination of fresh avocados, jalapeno pepper, tomato, diced onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt & pepper, and a little bit of cayenne pepper to make guac that rocks!

 A regular turkey or beef burger gets a California twist with some avocado slices added to it.
  
Scrumptious!  Give these avocado dishes a try to kick off your next barbecue!  

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I have an avocado recipe I'll have to share with you.

    ReplyDelete